The Steering Council is Profonanpe’s highest governing body and instance. Its eight members are:
- Four government representatives:
- The Ministry of Environment or his/her representative
- The Head of the National Service of Natural Areas Protected by the State
- One representative from the Ministry of Economy and Finance
- One representative from the Regional Governments
- Two representatives from non-governmental organizations with an acknowledged track record in natural protected areas.
- One representative from private business.
- One representative from international cooperation.
Their main functions are the following:
- Organize their operational regime.
- Approve Profonanpe’s general directions and guidelines.
- Appoint or remove the Executive Director.
- Perform through its attorneys at law all acts and enter all contracts allowed by law, as required for Profonanpe’s operation.